Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Regeneration and New Homes
Status: Decision has been rejected
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To agree a preferred site for a new leisure centre for Canada Water and to authorise public consultation about the proposal, taking into account the scrutiny recommendations.
Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 7 September 2015 considered the call-in of the decision and the committee resolved that its recommendations be formally referred to the cabinet member for regeneration and new homes for consideration.
Overview and Scrutiny Committee met further on 20 October 2015 and received a report back from the cabinet member for regeneration and new homes on the site for a new leisure centre at Canada Water and have submitted additional recommendations for the cabinet member to consider. See report from overview and scrutiny committee dated 10 November 2015 below.
The cabinet member is asked to consider the recommendations of overview and scrutiny committee and take a decision on the preferred site for location of the new leisure centre at Canada Water and to authorise public consultation about the proposal.
The decision will not be subject to a further scrutiny call-in process and will be implementable once notice of the decision is given.
1. That the site identified in Appendix 1 of the report as the preferred site for the location of the new Canada Water Leisure Centre be approved.
2. That the requirements for the new centre as set out in paragraph 9 of the report be approved and officers work with British Land to develop proposals for a new leisure centre on the site as part of the Canada Water masterplan.
3. That officers carryout consultation including targeted consultation with residents directly affected by the proposal in Hothfield Place, Hithe Grove, China Hall Mews on the western boundary of the site.
4. That it be noted that British land will undertake significant further consultation on proposals for the Canada Water Masterplan which includes the preferred leisure centre site and how it relates to the wider scheme during Autumn 2015 and that the proposals now incorporate the Surrey Quays Leisure Park site.
5. That it be noted that a decision on whether to proceed with the delivery of the Leisure centre as part of the Canada Water Masterplan, will be taken forward as part of the development agreement with British Land, the terms of which are to be considered by Cabinet early next year.
Publication date: 20/08/2015
Date of decision: 19/08/2015
Effective from: 28/08/2015