Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To agree the recommendations and proposed action plan following the strategic review of youth services
That the following be agreed:
1. The new vision and set of objectives for the youth service as detailed in paragraphs 61 – 62 of the report. These aim to ensure that the voices of young people are at the heart of future decision-making, that young people are able to access the wealth of activities taking place across the borough, and that they can take part in new and exciting opportunities with a range of organisations created through our partnership work.
2. The establishment of a new officer and member joint working group chaired by the deputy leader and cabinet member for children, young people and schools. The group will bring together officers from leisure and children’s services to oversee the establishment of a Sure Start for Teenagers.
3. That officers should work with young people through a co-production approach to identify the need and opportunity for a new state of the art facility from which to deliver services and will bring proposals back to cabinet in 2021. A youth led review of facilities and public spaces on Brandon Estate is taking place in January 2021; the findings from this will support the implementation of this recommendation.
4. The bringing together of the Youth and Play grants scheme with the Positive Future Fund, re-named ‘Positive Future for Young People Fund’, providing a fund of £600,000 in 2021-22 for activities for young people. 10% of this fund will be overseen directly by young people.
5. That a youth parliament be established as the youth leadership forum to steer the future direction of the council’s youth offer consisting of a diverse and representative group of young people.
6. That officers create a commissioning working group with young people including representatives from the current youth council, young advisers, youth offending service, young carers, youth club attendees and others to develop the specification for the new commissioning of activities programme. Officers will return to cabinet in March 2021 with the detailed commissioning plan.
7. To the development of a digital information hub to provide comprehensive, up to date and accessible information about activities and services for young people and their families.
8. The launch of the new “Positive Futures for young people” service in the spring 2021.
That the following be noted:
9. The details of the review, which included extensive and in depth engagement with colleagues from across the council, young people, parents/carers, and youth providers and has directly influenced and shaped the recommendations and action plan.
10. The recommendations and detailed action plan arising from the youth review 2020 as detailed in paragraph 63 of the report, which will enable young people to experience vibrant and dynamic activities that will motivate and support them to have happy, healthy and positive futures.
Report author: Caroline Bruce
Publication date: 09/12/2020
Date of decision: 08/12/2020
Decided at meeting: 08/12/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 17/12/2020