Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To agree a way forward for Maydew House and to start consultation on options for Damory and Thaxtred Court
1. That it be noted that in 2019 the refurbishment of Maydew House was costed at £42,173,573. By 2021 these costs had risen to £69,644,677, representing an increase of £27,471,104. This increase does not include further inflation cost and the further risks outlined in paragraph 32 of the report.
2. That the constraints of refurbishing Maydew House and relative advantages of wholesale redevelopment, including larger homes, an increase in the number of homes, more accessible homes, set out from paragraphs 33 to 42 of the report be noted.
3. That it be agreed not to proceed with the final stage 2 tender price proposal received in relation to the refurbishment of Maydew House and the replacement of the Bede Centre on the existing Abbeyfield site.
4. That it be agreed to procure a demolition contract for Maydew House, which would be subject to a separate gateway approval.
5. That the whole life carbon assessment for the demolition of Maydew House and that this document will be updated as set out in paragraph 39 of the report be noted, with every effort being made to minimize and mitigate the carbon impact.
6. That it be agreed to undertake a detailed consultation and engagement process with residents of Damory House and Thaxted Court over options for the future of their estate and improving the quality of their housing and environment.
7. That it be agreed to amend the housing investment programme to include £4m for demolition works for Maydew House.
8. That the council’s commitment and support for the Bede Centre be reaffimed and that the update on temporary and permanent options for continued operation of this important community organisation be noted.
9. That the outcome of the residents meetings on 9 November 2022 and 5 December 2022 and previous meetings with officers be noted.
Report author: Michael Scorer
Publication date: 07/02/2023
Date of decision: 06/02/2023
Decided at meeting: 06/02/2023 - Cabinet
Effective from: 08/03/2023