Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Approval of the heat networks strategy and investment plan
1. That the work done in preparing a strategy for decarbonising the council’s heat networks be noted, but that challenges remain both in terms of residual carbon and financial impact (paragraphs 73-82 of the report).
2. That appropriate opportunities to lobby government to bring forward grants for low carbon heating that will help to overcome the challenges described the Climate Change Implications section be used.
3. That the principles and activities laid out within the strategic direction, service improvement and investment plan sections (paragraphs 17 - 38 and Appendix 3 of the report) be agreed.
4. That the ‘district heating disconnection policy for leaseholders and freeholders’ included in Appendix 1 and summarised in paragraphs 43 - 54 of the report be adopted.
5. That the update provided relating to the heat metering regulations and the council’s related legal obligations be noted and that an update be received within 12 months on progress in delivery against its heat metering obligations and on any changes to the status of the upcoming heat networks market regulation.
Report author: Michael Scorer
Publication date: 15/09/2021
Date of decision: 14/09/2021
Decided at meeting: 14/09/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 23/09/2021