To consider the results of consultation on the future of Southwark Cemeteries.
Written comments in respect of this item were received and circulated at the meeting from the following:
In addition to the deputation requests, Councillors Victoria Mills and Renata Hamvas, local ward councillors also made representations to the cabinet in respect of this item.
1. That the outcomes of the public consultation on future burial provision in the Borough undertaken in the summer of 2011(Appendix D of the report) be noted.
2. That the vision for the Cemetery service as set out in paragraphs 34 and 35 of the report be agreed.
3. That the commitment to providing burial space within the Borough and to the adoption of the Cemetery Strategy (Appendix A of the report) be confirmed.
4. That the creation of short and medium term burial space in Camberwell Old and New Cemeteries as identified in the action plans as amended by the proposals for phasing in the supplementary information reportbe agreed subject to the agreement to the Council capital programme 2012-2022 (Appendices B and C of the report) with the exception that sites H1 and D2 are considered by Cabinet upon completion of investigations in 2014.
5. That the council seek the amendment of the London Local Authorities Act 2007 to provide the Council with the powers to reuse graves currently available to all other London Boroughs.
6. That the additional work being undertaken with the London Environmental Directors Network (LEDNET) and the Greater London Authority to identify a regional solution to the shortage of burial space in London be noted.
7. That officers explore further the procurement of burial space outside the Borough.
8. That the future of Honor Oak Recreation Ground and the Borough cemeteries be referred for consideration within the parks and open spaces strategy review due to report later in the year.