Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Confirmation to proceed to Tustin Estate Residents'' Ballot on the preferred option including council commitments to residents and other estate based stakeholders
Decisions of the Cabinet
1. That the detailed resident engagement to date be noted and that the Tustin Community Association and the Resident Project Team be thanked for their work to date.
2. That it be agree to proceed to a Resident Ballot for the final option, on the basis of the proposals and commitments within the Landlord Offer Document, for the Tustin Estate Low Rise Programme in February 2021. The final option is as described below.
Redevelopment of the low-rise homes with:
· The demolition and replacement with new homes of Bowness House, Heversham House, Hilbeck Close, Kentmere House & Ullswater House
· Retention of the houses in Manor Grove with improvements to the tenanted homes
· New houses in between the houses on Manor Grove itself
· A new park in the centre of the estate
· A new Pilgrims’ Way School
· New retail and business spaces on the Old Kent Road and Ilderton Road.
3. That the proposals align with the Great Estates programme for redevelopment proposals and as such the below five tests will be achieved be noted.
1. a positive ballot on any new estate regeneration (as per the commitment in the Council Plan 2018-2022);
2. a net increase in social rent homes alongside increased density, to meet the acute need of families on our waiting list;
a right to remain for all
rehoused tenants and leaseholders, for keeping
4. intensive co-design of redevelopment proposal, to become co-authors of a new estate plan;
5. a clear rationale for any redevelopment proposal, including an explanation of how this would increase housing supply (based on comprehensive density modelling) and/or a transparent stock condition survey.
4. That authority be delegated to the director of housing in consultation with the cabinet member for housing to make any necessary amendments to the Landlord Offer document in advance of the Resident Ballot.
5. That a further report on the outcome of the ballot in March 2021 and a further report on the consequent delivery programme and financial implications be received in July 2021.
6. That a variation to the Housing Investment Programme, making provision for the estimated costs of developing the delivery programme and assessing financial implications in advance of the cabinet report in July be agreed.
Decision of the Leader of the Council
7. That authority be delegated to the cabinet member for housing to confirm a dedicated Tustin Estate Local Lettings Policy subject to a majority vote in favour of the redevelopment option.
(NOTE: The above decisions were subject to an urgent implementation request which was agreed by the chair of overview and scrutiny committee. These decisions are therefore not subject to call-in and can be implemented immediately).
Report author: Eleanor Kelly
Publication date: 19/01/2021
Date of decision: 19/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 19/01/2021 - Cabinet