Decision Maker: Planning Sub-Committee B
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Planning application reference: 19/AP/0865
Report: see pages 8 to 51 of the agenda pack and pages 1 to 5 of the addendum report.
Construction of a 9 storey plus basement building to provide an 73 bedroom hotel with restaurant at ground floor level and associated cycle parking, refuse and recycling stores, and plant.
The sub-committee heard the planning officer’s introduction to the report.
The council’s transport officer was present to address the meeting and responded to questions from members.
An objector was present to address the sub-committee and responded to questions from members.
The applicants’ agents were present to address the meeting and responded to questions from members.
There were no supporters who lived within 100 metres of the development site present who wished to speak.
Councillor Damian O'Brien was present and addressed the sub-committee in his capacity as a ward councillor.
At 9.15pm it was moved, seconded and
That the meeting stand adjourned. During the adjournment, members of the sub-committee discussed some of the issues that had been raised during the meeting, including whether or not the scheme would result in the over dominance of visitor accommodation in the area and have a negative impact on the transport network. Members also discussed the extent to which any such issues would justify a refusal.
The sub-committee reconvened at 9.25pm.
Councillor Graham Neale was unable to re-join the virtual meeting due to connectivity and technical difficulties.
1. That the planning application 19/AP/0865 be granted, subject to conditions as set out in the officer recommendation, addendum report and the completion of a legal agreement.
2. That in the event that the legal agreement is unable to be completed by 31 December 2020, the Director of Planning be authorised to refuse planning permission on the following grounds:
In the absence of a signed legal agreement, the proposal would fail to provide suitable mitigation in terms of:
· Planning gain, contrary to saved policies 2.5 (planning obligations) and 4.4 (affordable housing) of the Southwark Plan
· Policies SP6 (Homes for people on different incomes) and SP14 (implementation and delivery) of the council’s core strategy 2011
· Policies 3.11 (affordable housing targets) and 8.2 (planning obligations) of the London Plan 2016, and
· Sections 4: Decision-making and 5: Delivering a sufficient supply of homes of the national planning policy Framework (NPPF) 2019.
At 9.40pm the meeting had a five minute comfort break.
Publication date: 09/10/2020
Date of decision: 14/09/2020
Decided at meeting: 14/09/2020 - Planning Sub-Committee B