Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve the next steps in the development of long term plans for the delivery of 11,000 new council homes
The strategic director of housing and community services informed cabinet that the Future Steering Board (FSB) had confirmed their endorsement of these proposals in writing.
1. That the progress underway within the Direct Delivery programme that forms part of the commitment to build 11,000 new council homes over 30 years from 2013 to 2043 be noted.
2. That under the head of major works, the future programme delivery for new council homes with the ongoing asset management of the existing housing stock be brought together.
3. That strategic director of housing and community services be instructed to:
· put in place the necessary capacity to oversee further programme delivery
· undertake a comprehensive appraisal of the overall performance of current Housing Revenue Account (HRA) assets and report back the outcome of this analysis to cabinet in December 2014
· bring a further report to cabinet in December 2014, setting out the proposed pipeline for the delivery of 1500 new council homes by 2018
· establish a wholly owned and controlled council ‘vehicle’ to secure future funding capacity for the programme.
4. That the strategic director of housing and community services be instructed to report annually to cabinet on delivery of the programme.
5. That the draft “charter of principles” (Appendix 1 to the report) to govern the approach to engagement on housing investment and renewal be agreed.
6. That the strategic director of housing and community services be instructed to consult with residents on the draft “charter of principles” through the summer, reporting back to cabinet in October 2014.
7. That the continuing role of the Futures Steering Board (FSB) as a valued sounding board, providing important tenant and homeowner perspectives on the delivery of the 11,000 new council homes be noted.
8. That the ongoing engagement on the New Southwark Plan and emerging 30 year housing strategy be noted, and that officers be instructed to ensure the necessary linkages are made with the proposed engagement set out in the report.
Report author: Gerri Scott
Publication date: 23/07/2014
Date of decision: 22/07/2014
Decided at meeting: 22/07/2014 - Cabinet
Effective from: 31/07/2014