Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To agree a new approach across children’s social care, housing and commissioning to deliver a refreshed pathway and new services for young people aged 16 years and over
Decisions of the Cabinet
1. That the findings of the young people aged 16+ support and housing project as set out in full in Appendix 1 of the report be accepted.
2. That the following recommendations be approved:
(i) to establish a joint leadership across the council for delivering the 16+ support and housing pathway, with a common purpose across care, health, housing and support.
(ii) to support young people wherever it is safe and in their best interests, to stay living at home with their family or foster carers.
(iii) to establish a single “front door” into 16+ support and housing pathway for all looked after children/care leavers and young people at risk of homelessness, underpinned by a unified approach across children’s social care and housing.
(iv) to establish new Southwark Young People’s 16+ Support and Resettlement Services with a small number of providers which will deliver support directly to young people that robustly prepares them for independent living. Some of these services will be located in Southwark with other services located within a reasonable travel distance of the borough.
(v) to establish a whole system approach to support young people to move on from services. This approach will be underpinned by a principle of helping young people to make their own choices around their housing needs.
(vi) to ensure young people can live independently in the community following preparatory support and training, so that young people do not experience a “cliff-edge” when leaving different support and housing schemes.
3. That the strategic director of children’s and adults’ services and the strategic director of housing and modernisation be instructed to undertake work to deliver these changes.
4. That it be noted that these changes may avoid costs that would be borne by the council of up to £2.5m over the coming two years.
Decisions of the Leader of the Council
5. That authority be delegated to the cabinet member for children and schools, in consultation with the deputy leader and cabinet member for housing to approve procurement decisions for the new Southwark Young People’s 16+ support and resettlement services, including any award of contracts.
Report author: David Quirke-Thornton
Publication date: 10/05/2017
Date of decision: 09/05/2017
Decided at meeting: 09/05/2017 - Cabinet
Effective from: 18/05/2017